Because It Is My Heart: A Secret (In A Blog of Secrets)

August 04, 2006

A Secret (In A Blog of Secrets)


I have a secret vice. Since this blog is the place where I tell all my secrets, I will tell you. It’s The Waltons. Not Sam Walton and the empire of Bentonville, Arkansas. The TV Show. I know what you’re thinking. The Waltons? Yes. The Waltons. I watched it as a child growing up, and I still watch it every chance I get.

I watch it mostly because my childhood was nothing like that, and there is a part of me that wishes desperately that it was. It’s my dream of what life should be. It’s my centering point. My compass.

As a child, I decided I wanted to marry a man just like Zebulon Walton (Grandpa). I’m still looking for him. William is pretty darn close, but without the endlessly laughing eyes and the joyous embracing of life and all that it held.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about the Baldwin sisters. Miss Mamie and Miss Emily. You remember the Baldwins? The two sweet little old maiden ladies who lived in a fine old house and made bootleg whiskey which they called “The Recipe”? I adore the Baldwin ladies. They are unfailingly kind and generous. They embrace life. They love each other and care for each other tenderly. They welcome people into their home like they were just sitting there doing nothing but waiting for them to drop by.

I wish we could all be a little more like that.

So tonight, I’m aspiring to be a little more like the Baldwin ladies. Not to make moonshine, mind you, but to try to be kind and gracious to everyone who crosses my path. To think the best of everyone until I have absolute reason not to. To be kind and warm and endlessly hospitable.

They had good hearts, those ladies did. And I want that. I want to look at my heart and see nothing but love.

Lily

7 Comments:

Blogger velvet acid tongue said...

nice to see you posting again ... missed reading you. hope you are well and enjoying your summer.

8:09 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Spring, Ph.D. said...

Nice to see you back. It's funny how many of those family television shows became our idea of the ideal family, especially for those of us whose families left a lot to be desired.

I wasn't a walton fan back when it was on, but I watch reruns occasionally now. For me, it was the brady bunch, and the partridge family. And eventually little house on the prairie.

My son loved mad about you, saw it as the ideal relationship. My daughter loved gilmore girls, the ideal mother/daughter relationship.

8:58 AM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Otilia said...

yes, I too, have a fondness for the Baldwin sisters. And, a bit of a northern version lives near here. She gave me water from Lourdes when I was found to have cancer. I need to return it to her. But I have to wait until chemo wears off, because a glass of the recipe is always involved...

2:00 PM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Here & Beyond said...

u know..i feel the same thing..a family like that..so perfect..but my childhood was nOthing like that

i know this feeling..thats strange how people even being so far feel the same thing..adn we can find them casually and see that we are not the only one to think like that

9:06 PM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

a noble aspiration we would all do well to consider...in the least...that said, I was always teased as a kid with the whole 'night Johnboy bit. I never could decide whether or not to be annoyed.

6:53 PM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

thinking of you. miss reading you. do come back to us sometime ... :D hope you are well.

1:45 PM, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Loner said...

I've read htis post about a dozen times now - miss reading your notes here - adn it always makes me think: havign a few friends over for a little bit of the recipe sounds like such a good idea.

9:13 AM, September 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home